Saturday 1 December 2012

Review... Foals

Let me set the scene... Think a misty Wednesday evening in Sheffield, groups of young hip things and the odd OAP congregating outside a social club; in the side room a group of Sheffield locals, drinking pints and gin and tonics whilst playing a game of backgammon or darts etc. In the main room the young hip things drink cans of red stripes and wait in anticipation. Instruments lay waiting on the stage against a backdrop of nativity-esque hangings (by that I mean shiny/glittery streamer like curtains). Scene set right this is the night that Foals are playing in Sheffield. Intimate gigs are always the best I think, seeing your favourite band, in a small venue just makes you feel so much closer to the band. The support act petite-noir, seem to keep the crowd occupied whilst waiting for Foals. The band visually looks quite cool, a mix-match of the typical indie/hipster guys are great. They have a good sound, which I think just needs a little fine tuning and I could see them being a break through band of late 2013 perhaps. After Petite-Noir finish playing, there is quite a heavy transition, we wait for what seems like an age, and I am getting antsy to see the band. At half 9, the music dims again and Foals are here, all the waiting and annoyance completely dissipates as soon as Foals begin playing. Throughout the entire gig, the band are just filled with energy, the exuberance that front-man Yannis Philippakis exudes is just highly infectious; I dare anyone to go to a Foals gig and not dance or sing at the top of your voice, no matter how cool you want to seem it is an impossible feat to not let yourself go! I think a band that can make the crowd 'shhhh' when they play Spanish Sahara but then start a mosh pit when they play Two Steps, Twice and Inhaler just has to be absolutely incredible. I have spent my life going to gigs, and I can honestly say hand on heart, that, that was one of the best gigs I have ever been to. They played all their most famous songs minus Cassius which was highly anticipated by the crowd and I think would have been incredibly received. Luckily for me they played one of their new songs My Number, which they recently performed on Jools Holland; the set list was definitely well thought out. Foals are such an established band now, they have sold out The Albert Hall and they have a hefty fan base, most of which have been with them since 2008, but when their new album is out, I feel they are going to have a huge in-flux of new fans. Foals are back, bigger and better than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment